HEADS UP NOTICE
The meeting of Non-Profit Organization Association of Translation Teachers held as a part of Translation Forum Russia 2019 in August in Saint Petersburg saw the announcement of the following initiative:
The Association of Translation Teachers operating pursuant to the Articles of Association, hereinafter referred to as the “Association”, represented by Natalia Viktorovna Nechaeva, its President, and the Association of translators and editors of subtitles “Eurasian subtitlers’ league” operating pursuant to the Articles of Association, hereinafter referred to as the “League”, represented by Elena Anatolievna Konotopova, its President, collectively referred to as the “Parties”, have agreed as follows:
1. To start a joint project of developing standards in various fields (hereinafter referred to as the “Standard” Project”) within the scope of the Parties’ activities.
2. This project is in full compliance with the basic Agreement between the Parties and is aimed at helping the foreign colleagues working on the Russian media and educational market and our Russian colleagues, who start building up their experience in these fields.
3. The project is to start in November 2019 and is to be completed in February/March 2020.
4. General management of the project (the “Standard” Project) is to be done by:
– On behalf of the Association of Translation Teachers, the project is run by Maria Mikhailovna Stepanova, Chairman of the Board (firstname.lastname@example.org).
– On behalf of the Association of translators and editors of subtitles “Eurasian subtitlers’ league”, the project is run by Elena Anatolievna Konotopova (email@example.com).
5. The standards only serve as guidelines and are developed based on the aggregate experience of most outstanding professionals in their fields with the involvement of colleagues from other organizations, including foreign professionals and organizations.
6. Upon completion of the project, all the materials will be available in virtual libraries of the Association and the League on their websites and will be printed in limited editions.
7. The project operating procedure shall be the as follows: commissions are organized to work with each of the agenda issues identified and approved by the Parties. Commissions are headed by members of the Association or the League. Heads of commissions select, on their own, professionals and independent experts for their groups, form focus groups and initiate research. Commissions identify the means of communication convenient for them (in writing via chats and messengers or via online meetings). Once a month, heads of projects are to be informed of the work results, the help and support needed. Rotation of group/commission members is to be announced in due time.
8. The project promotion is to be ensured by both Parties that have to agree on the content of the published materials.
We invite the members of both Associations to take part in research, focus groups and commission work. At the moment, the following agenda has been identified (commissions are being organized, independent experts in the stated fields are being engaged):
– Standards for training of professionals in AV translation, subtitling and teaching in these fields at higher educational institutions.
– Audio description.
– Subtitling standards for foreign vendors wishing to promote audiovisual content in Russia.
– Translation for voiceover and dubbing.
– Potential for use of subtitles in AR/VR.
Lists of commission members are to be published separately as soon as commissions are organized. Please watch for more news!
The provisions of this Agreement are observed without any mutual financial liabilities and liabilities in terms of property. We also encourage the partner companies to contribute, where possible, to funding and organization (possibly, provide expert assistance) of the PROJECT “STANDARD”.
For any enquiries and proposals, please contact the authorized persons of the Associations (contact details are provided on the websites and above) or the authorized professionals heading the commissions, their contact details will be published later. Please be quick, the commissions are organized fast, some of them have already started working.
The week from October 28 to Nov 1 saw the unique joint project of ESL, the Association of Translation Teachers (ATT) and Literra/ProTranslation LSPs.
A member of the ESL Board Alexey Kozulyaev taught AVT to university teachers aiming to extend the reach of the discipline in Russia.
The course was topped by the first presentation in a cycle of open lectures “Translators’ Fridays at the Polytech”. The first event was devoted to audiovisual translation. The topic of the lecture was “Translating films and VOD series – who does that and how?” The room was packed with more than 100 attendees.
We are happy to greet a new ESL partner – the St.Petersburg University of the Airspace Engineering!
Photo: the signing ceremony between the League president Elena Konotopova and the head of the FL Chair of the Faculty of Humanities Marina Chikhanova
Literra Translation Company is another new ESL partner in the commercial domain.
Literra provides comprehensive translation solutions to the leading Russian companies since 2006 and is among Top 20 of the largest Eastern European LSPs. Literra is a member of the European Language Industry Association (ELIA) and the Union of Translators of Russia. The company’s managing director is the head of the FIT Standardization Committee.
ESL expands its partnership ties. Its President Elena Konotopova has signed a cooperation agreement with Peter the Great Polytechnical University represented by the head of the Institute of Humanities Prof. Nadezhda Almazova. A lot of interesting projects are ahead!
ESL represented by its President Elena Konotopova and the Association of Translation Teachers (ATT) represented by Maria Stepanova signed a cooperation agreement thus opening more ways to explore subtitling standards in Russia and teach it.
ATT sets forth as its paramount goal the establishment of the professional community of translation teachers in Russia as well as the representation of their interest and protection of their rights.
We are glad to introduce the new international partner of the Eurasian Subtitlers’ League – Gala Global Group from Kazakhstan. The cooperation agreement was signed by ESL President Elena Konotopova and the head of the Gala Global Gyulshan Alieva.
October 29, 2019 is the starting date for the formation of the new professional community in Kazakhstan.
Note: AVTReporter online digest has become a media project of the Eurasian Subtitlers’ League. That will help it to expand its reach and become even more informative: News highlights, SVOD, OTT, VOD, VR. AR, TV, cable, cinema, audiovisual translation, subtitles, closed captioning, audiodescription and more.
The Associatiin of Subtitle Translators and Editord “Eurasian Subtitlers’ League” has become a General Partner of the 1st Inclusive Dialogue Internatiolal Forum held within the framework of the 3rd Global Dialogue 2020 Internatiolal Interpreters Forum.